Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Problem with "next file every" checkbox

From: Thomas Boehne <TBoehne@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:22:36 +0100
On Wednesday 23 March 2005 21:12, Ulf Lamping wrote:
> Thomas Boehne wrote:
> >When I open the capture dialog and check "Use multiple files", I
> >cannot uncheck the "next file every ... megabytes" checkbox. The
> >problem occurs on Windows and Linux with the current SVN code.
>
> Yes, that's the currently intended behaviour since some releases.
>
> One (or both) of "Next file every" options have to be checked, otherwise
> using multiple files wouldn't make any sense.
>
> Being able to disable the megabytes option would require a logic to
> enable the minutes option at that point.
>
> I was too lazy to implement that logic, so it's currently required to
> leave it checked.

I think a checkbox that cannot be unchecked is a bad user interface. I
agree that Radiobuttons won't work here because splitting files by
time AND date should be possible. Creating new files only based on the
time could be done by setting the size value to a large value, but
thats only a dirty workaround.

I think the correct solution is:

Let the user check/uncheck any checkbox, and show an error message if
OK is clicked when "Use multiple files" is checked, and neither of the
two "next file every" options is checked.

Sincerely yours,
Thomas Böhne

--
Jäger Computergesteuerte Messtechnik GmbH
Thomas Böhne