Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Re: [Ethereal-cvs] rev13869: /trunk/epan/dissectors/: packet-

From: "Olivier Biot (Ethereal)" <ethereal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:50:14 +0100
From: Guy Harris

Ulf Lamping wrote:

As this is far better than the former implementation, this still doesn't
be the right way to handle this.

In that particular case, none of the routines whose return value is being checked can return null pointers, so in none of those places is the assertion doing a check that bad packet data could cause to fail.

I've removed the DISSECTOR_ASSERT() calls in the WSP dissector - the checks you inserted will catch null pointers passed to "proto_tree_add_string()".

Ths patch basically backed out the previous 2 patches and nuked the g_assert() calls which were needless (something I was not aware of at the time of writing that code).

If incoming data is wrong, it should be shown as such in the protocol
tree, but not indicating a dissector bug. Not the dissector is buggy,
but the data is (important difference).

Yes.

I agree. In this case, the g_assert() calls were only checking the return value of a "foreign" method for which I found documentation at that time that it might go wrong. It now looks like I got an incorrect pointer.

In a clean dissector implementation, calling DISSECTOR_ASSERT (and
g_assert) is not required at all. Just don't do: Oh I'm too lazy to
implement this right now, and this might never happen, so I place a
DISSECTOR_ASSERT here.

Ideally, it should be implemented; if not, it should at least put "Dissection not implemented yet" or something such as that into the protocol tree.

This is something I already did on the WAP dissectors. You'll get protocol error feed-back in the dissection tree for WSP, and even "Not decoded (yet)" messages in WSP, WBXML and JFIF/JPEG.

Best regards,

Olivier