Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] beginner- help needed...

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:52:35 -0800
nimalan s wrote:

I have created a protocol dissector say "X" on top of
udp.It is referenced by a port number.It works
fine.Now I want to create a new dissector on top of
"X" and this doesnot have a port number.

I.e., there's no port number field in protocol X that distinguishes between different protocols running on top of protocol X?

I want this
dissector to handle the payload part of "X" so that it
can be further dissected into its own header and data
fields.

So does that mean that the new protocol is the *only* one that would run on top of protocol X?

I really dont know how to do it as the new
protocol doesnot have a port number.
I found a particular case on X, only for which the new
protocol will be appended.

Or does it mean that there might be other protocols running on top of X, but there isn't some single field that specifies what the other protocol is, so the decision is based on looking at various fields?