Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] BUG in "Export as PSML" and "as CSV"

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 23:35:21 +0100
Stefano Pettini wrote:

Ulf Lamping wrote:

However, the matlab output seems very specialized to me, as it only exports a single pair of data helpful in only some cases. So I don't tend to check this in in it's current form.

I definitively need that feature. Since it's not so
Matlab-specific, we can rename it to "Export to traffic data", "to IO
data" or something similar.

I don't have any problem with a specialized export function for matlab. It's the way which *data values* can be selected to be exported.

We might need to have some way to select which data has to be exported, to be somewhat more generalized and helpful to more people.

Well, you can select which data using filters and then export only
displayed packages.

It's not about which packets, it's about which data.

To qoute one of your earlier mails: "the first column contains the relative timestamp, the second one contains the packet length".

What if I want to see the payload of a specific protcol, a DCE/RPC response time or something completely different in the second column?

I hope you get what I mean...

Could you split out the CSV related parts and send another patch with
 only theses changes (I've very little time...)?

Ok, I'll write a CSV-only patch as soon as I can.

It's always a good idea to put only one topic into a single patch. This makes it usually easier to apply that one.

It might be possible to include it before the next release, which is planned for this week.

Regards, ULFL