Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] TNS, NET8 && TTC

From: "Martin Regner" <martin.regner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 23:34:55 +0100
"roaming on the net" wrote:
> Guyz i just wanna know why Net8 and TTC dissectors do
> not exists for Ethereal.
> Is it Owing to legal issues or Not enuff information
> is available.

I guess that it is mainly because there is not much (detailed) documentation about NET8 protocol publicly available,
even if there is some information
available and some other protocol analyzers claims to support NET8 (but my own experience was that the ones I tried
didn't seem to support it so well
when I tried with some captures).
Then of course someone has to have enough time and interest to make a dissector for it.
I made some attempts to start writing a NET8 dissector a couple of years ago, but didn't have so much time to work on it
and I was also lacking
information about several details.

Actually ClearSight's Ethereal-Decode-Engine that is based on Ethereal source code and thus should be GPL (read more in
ClearSight's FAQ  http://www.clearsightnet.com/faq-analyzer.jsp) comes with a modified support for TNS/NET8.
I think they have modified packet-tns.c and added a packet-sqlOracle.c and so on.
The source code for the Ethereal-Decode-Engine is possible to download from
http://www.clearsightnet.com/form-download-Ethereal.jsp
I made some experiments with those files about a year ago. I think that it was not giving so detailed NET8 dissection,
but anyway.