Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] does ethereal team have plan to support decode more scsi comm

From: Ming Zhang <mingz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:18:59 -0500
On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 06:30, ronnie sahlberg wrote:
> While it is certainly impressive that you do have 10TB of storage
> available to you for these tests, i do doubt that such large LUNs are
those are not real 10TB device. it is a virtual one. i personally can
only afford several disks, half TB to hold my movies. :P

> useful in real world applications   unless you like fsck/scandisk
> taking 10 months or so to complete :-)

if they use > TB device, they will not do simple fsck anyway. :P they
probably will have journal fs or even raw structure.

and my sole purpose is to test the code limitation. i personally have no
such need in near future.

> There is no roadmap or official plan for what and when certain things
> in ethereal will be implemented/supported.
i can understand this. i have similar experience in the project i
maintained. too many things can do while too little time.

> The current number of supported protocols is ~100 times larger than
> the current number of active ethereal developers, which makes things
> take time.

i can see this.

> If you tell me which specific commands in SCSI you want implemented
> and can provide me example captures of such commands I can look into
> adding them one by one.

my friends and i are working on an iscsi implementation, so we have
interest to support all type of scsi devices while main focus is disk
type, tape type and media changer type.

if u have time to kill, that is better. if not, it is fine. i can work
on it when i need such support.

i will attach some captures on http://wiki.ethereal.com/SampleCaptures

thanks.

ming