Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Priv sep in ethereal

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 01:54:22 -0800
Mark Pizzolato wrote:

I didn't know this. I had assumed that since ethereal was a multi threaded program

Not all platforms on which Ethereal runs support threading well.  We
make no pthread calls in Ethereal (we don't define KAXLIB_POSIX_THREADS,
so even the exceptions package doesn't make pthread calls), nor do we
make any Windows threading calls - with GTK+ 2.x, threading is done for taps *if* USE_THREADS is defined, but I don't think we define it.

Note that in some versions of BSD, threading and BPF devices - which are
what's used for packet capture on BSD systems - don't work well together.