Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Priv sep in ethereal

From: "Mark Pizzolato" <ethereal-dev-20030907@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 17:35:40 -0800
On Monday, February 07, 2005 4:38 PM, Ulf Lamping wrote:
Mark Pizzolato wrote:
[...]
This would completely solve privilege separation for Windows and avoid
the overhead of attempting to do these things in a separate process
and pass all data to a display process.

Well, what you might not know, is that it's already handled that way
when you do an "Update list of packets in Real-Time" capture! The
problem is, depending on the user settings, we will use one of both
possible ways, which makes the code very ugly (believe me, I'm working
now for several days on it and it's not very funny to be honest). So a
code cleanup here will bring us several advantages, privilege separation
is only being one of them.

I didn't know this. I had assumed that since ethereal was a multi threaded program it was merely being done in a separate thread with synchronized access to the data avoiding the system IPC overhead.

- Mark Pizzolato