Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Priv sep in ethereal

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 01:38:23 +0100
Mark Pizzolato wrote:

You post some interesting ideas for Window, however, they are far more complicated than needed (i.e. the model of having a separate process doing actual pcap activities and a separate non privilege display process).

Winpcap actually ONLY needs privilege to "load the NPF driver". When winpcap is installed, the NPF driver is configured to load "On Demand", which means by the first user of an application which uses winpcap. Privilege is needed to perform this load, but any unprivileged application can use winpcap after the NPF driver is initially loaded. .The act of loading the NPF driver can be done automatically at system boot time by making a simple registry change the details of which described at: http://winpcap.polito.it/misc/faq.htm#Q-18

At least it's an interesting and good to know detail, but this won't solve problems for other systems, and I would like to have a solution for all. BTW: The new model *might* enable us later to do some other interesting things (e.g. capturing from multiple interfaces at once).

The ethereal windows installer could probably be offer an option to enable the starting of NPF at system startup.

That might be a good idea in any case.

This would completely solve privilege separation for Windows and avoid the overhead of attempting to do these things in a separate process and pass all data to a display process.

Well, what you might not know, is that it's already handled that way when you do an "Update list of packets in Real-Time" capture! The problem is, depending on the user settings, we will use one of both possible ways, which makes the code very ugly (believe me, I'm working now for several days on it and it's not very funny to be honest). So a code cleanup here will bring us several advantages, privilege separation is only being one of them.

Regards, ULFL