Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Hi I'm a newbie :)

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 20:30:58 +0100
Cook, Timothy wrote:

Constructive Criticism!!

It seems like this query has come up countless times over the past eighteen months I've been following this list. On several occasions I would like to implement a specialty plug-in, however, the STARTUP documentation (including the WINDOZE build process) is not organized to support the NEW developer.

Yes, I think that's true. Me and others were trying to improve the build process on every platform in the past, but there's room for improvements on this, especially on the windows platforms.

There have been GREAT improvements in the documentation content over the past year.
Yes, I've done a lot (most?) of the work on this topic, not only the developer part but also the user documentation.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming wiki contents other's may provide, which might be a way to overcome the current lack and structure of information. The documentation of the wiki's MATE pages are a good example how it could be.

However, the organization & completeness still need work.

Yes, I would agree on that. However, I'm doing this in my free time and feel a bit tired on that topic. My plans are doing some improvements of the code, and let other's feel responsible to document their changes themselve.

Major point - Right up front on the Development page it would be nice to have a 'Get Started Here' link to ALL Beginner/Advanced developer documentation. Even if it's just a link to the appropriate WIKI page(s).

Feel free to add such information to the wiki's development pages :-)

We might even want to move the complete content of the current webpage's developer section to the wiki...

Regards, ULFL