Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Re: Getting signal from USB port

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 01:07:13 -0800
hasna dahnini wrote:

I've yet developed a Profibus dissector that is able to analyse Profibus signals stored in a file. Now, I want to think on the link between an hard system that gets the signals on a real network and send them into a PC through a USB port. Moreover, my hard system will work with different network protocols and not only Profibus. Therefore, I choose Ethereal as network analyser. And, I don't know how I can get signals on my PC !

I can't help you on the issue of how to get the Profibus signals over the USB bus to your PC; Ethereal doesn't have any code that does capturing directly, it relies on libpcap/WinPcap, and the OS/driver code libpcap/WinPcap uses, to do that.

If you have a file format for the Profibus signals, you'd have to write code for Ethereal to read those files in the Wiretap library (in the "wiretap" subdirectory - I'd suggest that you arrange that the Profibus files have a "magic number" at the beginning, so that Wiretap can easily determine the type of the file), define a Wiretap encapsulation type for Profibus, and add Ethereal dissector code that registers for that encapsulation type.