Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] RE: Ethereal-dev Digest, Vol 22, Issue 1

From: "hasna dahnini" <hasna_dahnini@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 08:05:38 +0000
Guy Harris wrote:

...there are (at least) two issues I see:

	1) getting Profibus signals from some USB device;

	2) decoding the resulting information.

1) is a problem that is mainly a non-Ethereal problem.

If you can solve 1) in a fashion that lets you, for example, read
Profibus signal information into a file, *and* that the file can be
broken into packets - i.e., that Profibus is a packet-oriented protocol,
and that you'll be analyzing packets rather than, for example, signal
waveforms (Ethereal isn't a waveform analyzer) - then the only part of
1) that would involve Ethereal would be writing code to read the file,
and then you'd write a dissector for Profibus that processes the data
you'd read from the file.

Do you mean that I must write a program that will read on the USB port and will write Profibus packets on a file that Ethereal will be able to analyse with a Profibus dissector ?