Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] questions about asn2eth

From: Tomas Kukosa <tomas.kukosa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 07:39:01 +0100
Hi,
  the reason is that the asn2eth behaviour for SEQUENCE/SET OF type had to be changed.

Before that change e.g. all SEQUENCE OF INTEGER was mapped to the one Ethereal function.
But it caused problem when it was necessary to change one of all SEQUENCE OF INTEGER field.
Now only SEQUENCE OF <TypeReference> are mergeged together.

If all languaage fields shoudl be merged to one type you can use following directive:
#.TYPE_RENAME
Connect-UUIE/language      Language
Setup-UUIE/language        Language
AdmissionConfirm/language  Language
#.END

"T_*" functions are generated as type dissectors for non-primitive types.
The ans2eth is diesigned more "type oriented" in comaprisn with current PER/BER API which is more "field oriented".
It was designed for new PER/BER API which is unfortunately still only in my mind. :)

If you are interested in how ASN.1 fields and types are mapped to Ethereal fields and types, you can use "asn2eth.py -d t ... > debug_file" compiler option and you can see all compiler tables in the debug_file.

Lars Roland wrote:

Hello all,

I tried to apply the h323 part of the voip call analysis patch an now I get following warnings when I try to regenerate the dissector:

:: UserWarning: The same type names for different types. Explicit type renaming is recommended.
T_language
 T_language           Connect-UUIE/language
 T_language1          Setup-UUIE/language
 T_language2          AdmissionConfirm/language

:: UserWarning: The same field names for different types. Explicit field renaming is recommended.
language
 language1            T_language1          Setup-UUIE/language
 language2            T_language2          AdmissionConfirm/language
 language             T_language           Connect-UUIE/language

I didn't get these warnings before and I can't see any difference for the language items. They are still generated completely from the asn definition file. There is nothing in the cnf or the template file about it.

What are the suggested "type renaming" and "field renaming" about?
When do I need them?

Another question. Why do we have so many "T_*" functions in generated dissectors? IMO they introduce an unnecessary function call.

Regards,
Lars