Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] Desegmentation atop TCP problem / TCP reassembly and desegmen

From: "Jeff Foster" <jfoste@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 10:16:34 -0500

From: ronnie sahlberg [mailto:ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 9:09 AM

> >I don't like that I have to manipulate the pinfo structures directly to
> >request the desegmentation. I would rather call a function to request the
> >data so the details are hidden from me and changes to the desegmentation
> >code don't impact my code. I would like to see a function i.e.
> >desegment_request_data( pinfo, offset, length); that would make the changes
> >to the pinfo->desegment_len and pinfo->dsegment_offset.
>
> That is exactly what tcp_dissect_pdus() will do for you.
> Please grep for that function and look at the examples in the various callers.
> It is very easy to use.

<deleted/>

I looked at tcp_dissect_pdus and even tried implimenting with it. But since I
don't know the PDU size, because of the null terminated strings, I couldn't
come up with a good method to determine the length of the PDU without reading
the entire PDU.  As such the tcp_dissect_pdus doesn't seem to fit very well.
I thought it was easier to just dissect the PDU and use the pinfo->desegment...
method.

Am I missing something?

Jeff F>

***
The information in this e-mail is confidential and intended solely for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail, delete this e-mail, and refrain from any disclosure or action based on the information.
***