Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Long scan times with the "open file dialog" preview mechanism.

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 08:24:37 +0200
Hi List!

Ronnie noted, that he has problems with the preview function, lasting too long when working with large capture files.

I don't want to remove the function as I find it useful (and other users I spoke with reported that they find that function useful too)

To solve this we could:
a) reduce the maximum scantime (curr. 3 sec)
b) temporarily (or permanently) remove the function
c) use a preference setting
d) use a better mechanism, so you can open the file while the scan is still running (and stop the scan in this case)

I think d) would satisfy both of us, he don't have to wait and I will see the info I want to see.

I'm sorry that I don't have much time to work on the code right now.

But I don't want to disable the function in the next release and bring it in after that again, as this would be confusing for users.

Sorry for any inconvenience,

Regards, ULFL