Ethereal-dev: Re: ASN1.DLL linked against GTK2 forces crash. was: Re: [Ethereal-dev] New pre-

Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 17:26:35 +1000
Very nice Lars, can confirm the workaround works
Installed ethereal 10.6, with Gtk2 & Gtk-wimp (with Gtk2.4.4, GLib 2.4.5) and crashed
removed asn1.dll from plugins directory - and started fine

Minor niggle, "Help" -> "About" reports
WinPcap (version unknown)

Cheers

PW

If I install 10.6 with Gtk2, without

Lars Roland wrote:

frogzoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx schrieb:

By all means Lars, yes please to the new pre-release

Yes problems with GTK+ 1.3, GLib 2.4.5 on XP Pro 2002 (rel 2600)
(libz 1.2.1, lipcre 4.4, WinPcap 3.0alpha)
GTK-Wimp enabled causes ethereal to crash on startup

Also, could the "help" -> "about" box please display the GTK-Wimp version no. - then we'll be able to tell you which version we're running :-)

I was wondering how it could be that GTK 1.3 crashes with GTK-Wimp. GTK-Wimp is an extension for GTK2. GTK1 doesn't even load it!! So I installed GTK1 version with GTK-Wimp and at least this time, I can reproduce the crash.
The debugger shows that it crashes when loading asn1.dll.
I am not surprised that we finally have a conflict with it as it is linked against GTK2!

The crash already happens in libglib-2.0-0.dll. I believe that most people reporting crashes with ethereal crashing in module libglib-2.0-0.dll have this conflict.

There are a lot of workarounds, but there is only one solution:
Remove GTK depedency from the asn1 plugin.

Short term workaround:
Remove asn1.dll in the plugins directory.
When you start Ethereal after that, you will probably get a DOS box with some warnings about preferences of the asn1 dissector. Just go to Edit->Prefences and click on the save button and the DOS-box won't appear the next time.

Workaround for next release:
Installer shouldn't install asn1.dll with GTK1 version of ethereal.

However, it shouldn't be possible to select GTK-Wimp together with GTK1. GTK1 doesn't use it.

I will prepare patches for the nsis installer.

Regards,
Lars