Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] request for fixes for certificates dissection

From: ronnie sahlberg <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:24:37 +1000
Hi Yaniv,   (I will reply to the other items later)

> 3. More OIDs needed to be added (found on SSL with Microsoft):
> 1.3.6.1.5.5.7.1.1
> 1.3.6.1.4.1.311.20.2
> 1.3.6.1.4.1.311.21.2
> 1.3.6.1.4.1.311.21.1
I have a few NetScape extensions i want to handle as well,
I am not sure how the best way to add these things are yet,   should one really
create a new "protocol" for each such ASN.1 file or just stash all
these small ones in just one common file?
If no one else has checked in support for this for you, please remind
me in about a weeks time when i have access to my ehtereal build
machine again  and i will do it.

> 5. When is the serial number displayed in hex and when in decimal? I
> suggest we'll have both, but having sometimes this and sometimes that is
> a bit confusing (see first cert's serial number and last). I assume it's
> because sometimes it's a compund number (complex? 0x23 type) and
> sometimes simple.
Ah,
this is likely because ethereal only handles up to 32bit integers
internally as integers (maybe we should dispose of this limitation and
say : your platform doesnt have guint64? tough!)
Anything up to 32bit   is handled as native normal integers.
For up to 64bits,   ethereal has special built in routines to convert to/from
the binary representation into decimal ascii strings (which means
32->64 bit integers   then >  <   doenst work in display filters)

For integers larger than 64bits, the BER encoder will display them as
a hex number since that is better than just displaying "I dont know
how to convert this big number into an ascii string".