Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] How are filters stored and manipulated?

From: "Robert Muil" <r.muil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 11:50:03 +1000

Reposting this, with a subject line. Sorry.

Hi all,

I’m new to this newsgroup, and not sure this is the correct place to ask these kinds of questions. If not, could someone send me the right way?

I am interested in how filters are stored and manipulated internally in Ethereal. What section of the code in ethereal is responsible for applying and manipulating the filters at runtime? Are they kept as strings until applied to individual packets, or precompiled to some kind of structure (like reg expressions)?

Thank you kindly,

Robert Muil.