Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Patch to get the Win32 build to work again

From: "Olivier Biot" <ethereal@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 11:24:09 +0200
Hi Yaniv,

For the reference, here's more input:
http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-cvs/200407/msg00275.html

The Makefile.nmake files contain NMAKE-isms where they automatically
append/delete "../" to the sources, like in:

    DISSECTOR_SUPPORT_SRC = $(DISSECTOR_SUPPORT_SRC:../=)
    DISSECTOR_SUPPORT_OBJECTS = $(DISSECTOR_SUPPORT_SRC:.c=.obj)

Those NMAKE-isms were used in a special manner to circumvent a known
bug of some NMAKE versions (search for "hack nmake" in ethereal-cvs
messages over the past 6 weeks).

When I replied you yesterday, I also ran the very same procedure:

    WINNT> VCVARS32.BAT
    WINNT> nmake -f Makefile.nmake distclean
    cygwin$ find . -name \*.obj -exec rm "{}" \;
    cygwin$ svn update
    WINNT> nmake -f Makefile.nmake packaging > 1_make
    cygwin$ tail -f 1_make

And the procedure ran successfully with MSVC6 out-of-the-box.

FYI creating an unified diff with SVN is *very* simple:

    cygwin$ svn diff > svn.diff

You can also specify the files to check for writing a patch, but
that's optional. In that case, all files in the repository will be
considered (won't work for new files that aren't yet in the
repository).

Maybe you have a special version of NMAKE?

Best regards,

Olivier