Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Reviewed and updated "User's Guide" available

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 07:10:23 +0200
Graeme Hewson wrote:

Ulf Lamping wrote:

4.2.1:

Interface: drop "the" in "the Ethereal"

changed

Link-layer header type: substitute "Unless you are in the rare situation
that you need this,"

Sorry, don't understand

You are a rare case or you are in a rare situation.  You are not in a
rare case.  The present tense is normally used throughout, so drop
"will".

I'm not a rare case, or at least I'm hopefully not ;-)

replaced sentence by:
"Unless you are in the rare situation that you need this, just keep the default"

Capture packets in promiscuous mode: I think "put the interface in" is
better (as you say the first note)

Sorry, don't understand

You say "This checkbox allows you to specify that Ethereal should set
the interface in promiscuous mode when capturing."  "Put the interface
in" sounds better to my ear, and indeed you say "put" instead of "set"
in the first note following.

found the place, changed now

Description of figure 4.2: "The protocols which are counted cannot be
changed."

That's misleading! The protocols *can* be changed (by preferences), only the selection which is displayed in this dialog cannot!

Hmm.  Drop the sentence altogether?  I must admit it had never occurred
to me I might want to change the selection.

There were questions on the mailing list (I think twice) about this in the past, so I think we should keep this sentence.

4.6.1: mention ^E ?

I've added a section, please review.

Looks good.  Incidentally, is there a way to prevent the Note! icon and
its associated text being split across a page?

I don't know such a way :-(

Point 4: insert "is": "if one of the stop conditions is exceeded".

changed

As the next Ethereal release 0.10.6 seems to be planned, I would like to release this book (as it's related to 0.10.5) any time soon.

Is it possible for you to hurry up the review a bit? So we might release this book before the weekend? (Yes I know, time is precious, I'm busy myself).

I'll try!

:-)

Regards, ULFL