Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] displaying binary data

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 21:33:12 +0200
Guy Harris wrote:

Erwin Rol said:
I have to display some (512 byte) binary data that has no structure, the
byte_stream just displays the first few bytes. Is there some standard
way to display binary data in a way that it is easy to see what the
address (1-512) and value is ?

No.

You could use "proto_tree_add_text()" or "proto_tree_add_bytes_format()"
to put items into the protocol tree in a format such as

   0: XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX
   16: XX XX XX XX

or something such as that.

Wasn't there a protocol dissector named "data"?

Or was it only available for some protocols I used to work with, like DCE/RPC?

Anyway, should we provide such a common "unknown data" dissector?

Regards, ULFL