Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] 0.10.5 soon?

From: "Guy Harris" <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 15:54:40 -0700 (PDT)
Ulf Lamping said:
> I've checked in a slightly different approach. The caller passes an
> already opened file descriptor instead of a filename.

If it returns an error, you should remove the already-opened file.

>>The fix for the Windows printing stuff is probably to see if we can make
>>it work without a temporary file.  I think that might be possible, but
>>I'd have to take a look at the code again to be sure.
>>

> How do you think, this can be done without a tempfile???

By having "print_preamble()", "print_packet_header()", "print_formfeed()",
"print_line()", and "print_finale()" be done by calling through a table of
functions, with different functions for text, PostScript, and Windows
printing (and, instead of having text, PostScript, PDML, and PSML being
options at the same level in that code, having "text summary", "text
details", PDML, and PSML as options, with "text {summary, detail}" having
separate options for "text file", PostScript, and Windows printing), and
having the Windows printing routines directly print in the style of the
"print_mswin.c" routines, rather than printing to a text file and then
reading the text file and doing Windows printing.

> That should be handled by the installer, as it should know which
> platform it will be installed to.

Yes.

> As far as I understand it, GTK-WIMP should be installed for 2000, XP,
> 2003 only, is that correct?

As far as I know, it's correct, unless GTK-Wimp works on Windows Me, in
which case it should be installed on Windows Me as well.  (I don't know
whether it works on WMe.)