Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] 0.10.5 soon?

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 23:07:00 +0200
Guy Harris wrote:

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 09:03:29PM +0200, Ulf Lamping wrote:
-buggy changes from tmpnam to mkstemp by Joerg Mayer doesn't seemed to be fixed (he promised to do so)

He backed them out.
Yes, I've noticed.

The fix for the merge stuff is probably to:

	have the "out_filename" argument to "merge_n_files()" be a "char
	**", and, if the "char *" to which it points is null, have it mean
	"open a temporary file" and return a pointer to that file through
	"out_filename" (or have it return the filename as the return
	value, with NULL meaning "error");

	have "merge_open_outfile()" treat a null "out_file->filename" as
	meaning that a temporary file should be used, use "mkstemp()" to
	create the file, and use "wtap_dump_fdopen()" to open the file
	for dumping.

I've checked in a slightly different approach. The caller passes an already opened file descriptor instead of a filename.

The fix for the Windows printing stuff is probably to see if we can make
it work without a temporary file.  I think that might be possible, but
I'd have to take a look at the code again to be sure.

How do you think, this can be done without a tempfile???

BTW: What's the state of installing the GTK-Wimp thing by the NSIS installer (Win32)?

The current state is that it lets you install with GTK-Wimp even if
that'd really really really really really really really really suck
because the standard Windows system font isn't scalable.

That should be handled by the installer, as it should know which platform it will be installed to. As far as I understand it, GTK-WIMP should be installed for 2000, XP, 2003 only, is that correct?

BTW: Has the time come for a bug tracking system? Or maybe do we have one I just don't know of?

Well, we have a SourceForge project, and there are even some bugs there,
but it's probably not all that well known.  (Tcpdump and libpcap also
have projects, and it's been a while since I looked at the archives for
"patches@xxxxxxxxxxx", because it's a truly hellish spam trap - unlike
SourceForge's bug tracking system.)

Do we want to "advertise" this a bit more, or do we want to think about something different on www.ethereal.com?

Regards, ULFL