Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] Ethereal 0.10.3 bug and update

From: Biot Olivier <Olivier.Biot@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:01:31 +0200
Hi Stuart,

I did try it on a recent Win32 build of a CVS version of 24 hours ago, and
the problem does not appear. However...
I cannot reproduce the issue on a laptop running 650 MHz Intel PIII CPU, but
I remember it happening on an Intel P4 2.6 GHz desktop.

The GUI is sometimes extremely responsive on my system, and I think some
computers are that fast that they record TWO mouse click events instead of
one, or that the event is not properly "terminated" or synchronized within
the GTK2 code.

What sometimes appears to happen, is that the
RightMouseDown->RightMouseUp->ContextMenuShow sequence is seen by GTK+ as
RightMouseDown->ContextMenuShow->RightMouseUp which is interpreted as in
Mac'World with single-button mice where releasing the mouse means the same
as clicking on the highlighted item of the context menu. GTK+ 2.0 provides
this implementation too (I just tested this).

I don't know GTK+ coding but I only see the following options:

1. Use a slower computer. This of course is not an option :)

2. Require the *left* mouse button to confirm the context menu option.

3. Wait some number of milliseconds before popping up the context menu. I
think this is the preferred way.

Regarding your new bug, I cannot reproduce it on my GTK2 Win32 build.
Ethereal doesn't exit but the capture file is closed, that's all.

Regards,

Olivier