Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] Ethereal 0.10.3 bug and update

From: "Stuart MacDonald" <stuartm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:24:08 -0400
From: ethereal-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> I did try it on a recent Win32 build of a CVS version of 24
> hours ago, and
> the problem does not appear. However...

I am merely using the 0.10.3 windows installer precompiled version. I
don't have the setup to compile a win32 from source, otherwise I
would. :-(

> I cannot reproduce the issue on a laptop running 650 MHz
> Intel PIII CPU, but
> I remember it happening on an Intel P4 2.6 GHz desktop.

Interesting. We have Dell Dimension 8250s. Also P4 2.6 Ghz.

> The GUI is sometimes extremely responsive on my system, and I
> think some
> computers are that fast that they record TWO mouse click
> events instead of
> one, or that the event is not properly "terminated" or
> synchronized within
> the GTK2 code.

I'd say the latter, since I just tested and found out that I can hold
the right-click as long as I want, and the problem still occurs.

> What sometimes appears to happen, is that the
> RightMouseDown->RightMouseUp->ContextMenuShow sequence is
> seen by GTK+ as
> RightMouseDown->ContextMenuShow->RightMouseUp which is
> interpreted as in
> Mac'World with single-button mice where releasing the mouse
> means the same
> as clicking on the highlighted item of the context menu. GTK+
> 2.0 provides
> this implementation too (I just tested this).

Since this only happens the first time I click a packet after Ethereal
startup, and only if I click one that isn't selected (the first packet
in the packet list is selected by default), perhaps the MAC-default is
on erroneously, until something happens and it's taked off? ie, The
init code that switches over to PC mode isn't running soon enough?

> I don't know GTK+ coding but I only see the following options:
>
> 1. Use a slower computer. This of course is not an option :)

I believe this is irrelevant.

> 2. Require the *left* mouse button to confirm the context menu option.

Since it works correctly at all other times than the very specific and
reproducible test case I've narrowed down, this isn't necessary
either.

To clarify: this bug only happens once. Once it's happened, then the
context menu goes back to normal behaviour and is fine thereafter. So
it seems like something in the code isn't initialising properly.

> 3. Wait some number of milliseconds before popping up the
> context menu. I
> think this is the preferred way.

Can't comment on that, since I don't know GTK2.

> Regarding your new bug, I cannot reproduce it on my GTK2 Win32 build.
> Ethereal doesn't exit but the capture file is closed, that's all.

Perhaps it's fixed in CVS then. :-)

..Stu