Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Hepl on Tetheral

From: "Martin Regner" <martin.regner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:28:14 +0200

Roycey Cheeran wrote:

<We are doing a project which mainly deals with network monitoring.

<We are using Tethreal for sniffing the packets in the network.

<We want the port numbers on which the HTTP transactions are taking place.
<We know that it is available using the -V option,but this option gives us a log file
<which is really very very huge hence is not feasible to be used in out project.
<
<Can anyone tell us what changes has to be done to the code in order to get the
<port numbers on the HTTP lines  by just using the Tethereal command without the -V option

You can add source and destination ports to the summary printout for Ethereal/Tethereal by
changing the value for column.format in the preferences file either manually or by
using the Edit/Preferences/User Interface/Columns dialogue from Ethereal.

If you do it from Ethereal then you can e.g. add a column "Destination port (unresolved)" which will correspond
to %uD in the preference file.

Please note that Ethereal needs to be restarted when you have changed the settings (and pressed "Save") in order to
use the new column formats.

The same preferences file will be used by Ethereal and Tethereal.

Below is an extract from my preferences file. The location of the file may vary depending on what OS you are using, e.g.
C:/Documents and Settings/Martin/Application Data/Ethereal/preferences

# Packet list column format.

# Each pair of strings consists of a column title and its format.

column.format: "No.", "%m", "Time", "%t", "Source", "%s", "Destination",

"%d", "S_port", "%uS", "D_port", "%uD", "Len", "%L",

"Protocol", "%p", "Info", "%i"