Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Add PDML output to ethereal

From: "Guy Harris" <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:14:11 -0700 (PDT)
Ulf Lamping said:
> Well, on windows, a two stage dialog process is currently used.

Yes, but that's a bit of an unfriendly process.  We really shouldn't force
a user printing on Windows to go through an extra dialog box - and I have
the impression that, to print to a printer on Windows, there's not a good
way to do so without involving a Windows print dialog, so perhaps we
should see if we can do it all with the Windows print dialog (which we
wouldn't want to do with the "save dissection to a file as text" and "save
dissection to a file as PDML" functions being done as print functions, but
if they were moved to a "Save Dissection As" function, we could do all but
"print as PostScript" with the Windows print dialog - and, if there's a
"print as PostScript to file" printer/driver installed, we could probably
even do that, although we might want to use the Windows print functions so
that we get a "prettier" printout along the lines of what we get for
"print as PostScript" now).

I think there's also some hack out there to use Windows file open/save
dialogs from GTK+ applications - I think somebody mentioned that a while
ago.

Long term, of course, we probably want to be able to offer an Ethereal
with a 100% native GUI on Windows - and on KDE, and on Mac OS X as well, I
think.  (A GNOME version of Ethereal might also be a useful option, so you
have a GTK+-only version and a GNOME version offered.)