Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Add PDML output to ethereal

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 22:01:47 +0200
Guy Harris wrote:

Of course, they
serve different  purposes... saving as a different file format saves
just the packet data, not  the dissection, whereas the printing function
prints the packet dissection.

Perhaps both "print to file" and "save as PDML" should them be under File
-> Save Dissection As?

(Note that in at least some GUIs, "print to file" means to generate
printer output to a file, not generating plain text to a file, e.g.:

   "Save as PDF" in Mac OS X does what the name indicates;

   "print to file" on Windows appears to, in most applications, generate
a "printer file" (either in some Windows intermediate file format or
in the format that would eventually be handed to the printer, I forget
which);
Well, on windows, a two stage dialog process is currently used. The first is a GTK specific Ethereal dialog, with a "print to file" will save in the format expected "ASCII/PS/PDML". After that, a win32 specific printing dialog is coming up. If using the "print to file" option in this dialog,
a printer specific file format will be used.

   I think KDEprint might do the same (the file extension in the KDE
print dialog screenshot at

       http://printing.kde.org/screenshots/pics/printdialog.png

   suggests that might be the case, i.e. the grayed-out "output file"
section has the output file as a ".ps" PostScript file).)

Regards, ULFL