Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Add PDML output to ethereal

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 19:33:31 +0200
Martin Regner wrote:

Oliver Biot wrote:
Today we can only produce PDML output in tethereal (with the -Tpdml
command-line option). I guess it is not that complicated to add support
for
PDML output in Ethereal, unless I ignore the consequences of packet
reassembly?

Yes I would like to be able to get PDML-output  from Ethereal.

I'm using the PDML output for certain things and will probably use it much
more in the future.
I'm often using Tethereal from some batch scripts to produce the PDML output
and do some post-processing.

But in some cases it would be easier to do PDML output from Ethereal since I
may have to change some "Decode As..." settings
based on the contents in the sniffing and then it is a bit annoying that I
cannot do the output directly from Ethereal.

Well, the biggest problem is getting it at the right place into the Ethereal GUI.

It would be relatively easy to put it as an option into the print dialog, as the PDML output is implemented as a kind of print output filter/transformation.

However, this would be really poor in a usability point of view, as no one would expect it there.

So the right place for it would be "File->Export->PDML" in the menu, but this would require implementing a new dialog (with packet range selection and such like in the print dialog).

Regards, ULFL

BTW: what are you doing with the PDML output when you have generated it?