Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] the new broken buildscripts

From: Biot Olivier <Olivier.Biot@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:28:03 +0200
Hi Ronnie,

I'm having lots of problems building Ethereal on cygwin too since we moved
to shared library builds. I suspect this has to do with cygwin (and the
MSWin platform) not liking not-selfcontained shared libraries (i.e., a
library that contains references to symbols *external* to this library).

As a last resort I downloaded yesterday a nightly tarball of March 6th in
order to have a working build environment to be able working on the MMSE
dissector.

I propose we provide a shared AND a non-shared (static) build environment to
Ethereal. However, it looks like you cannot do so in one single Makefile.am
so during the autogen.sh we may have to decide for shared or static and then
copy the correct Makefile-shared.am or Makefile-static .am to Makefile.am
(maybe we can set the name of the Makefiles to consider in the configure
scripts (configure.in) too).

Fortunately there are not that many changes between static and dynamic
linking for building Ethereal.

Regarding your CVS problems, maybe your CVS/Root files and/or CVS/Entries
files are corrupt. The former must contain your CVSROOT while the latter
contain the versioning information of the files in the repository (at least,
in your local copy of it).

Regarding the problems with the Kerberos changes not impacting the build,
did you disable slow dependency checking while running configure? Slow
dependency checking implies you'll see lines like:

if /bin/bash ../libtool --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..
-I./..  -I/usr/local/include  -D_U_="__attribute__((unused))" -Wall -W
-Wcast-qual -Wcast-align -Wbad-function-cast -pedantic -Wstrict-prototypes
-g -O2 -I/usr/local/include -pthreads -I/usr/X11R6/include/gtk-2.0
-I/usr/X11R6/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0
-I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include/glib-2.0
-I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include   -MT packet-dcerpc-lsa.lo -MD -MP -MF
".deps/packet-dcerpc-lsa.Tpo" \
  -c -o packet-dcerpc-lsa.lo `test -f '../packet-dcerpc-lsa.c' || echo
'./'`../packet-dcerpc-lsa.c; \
then mv -f ".deps/packet-dcerpc-lsa.Tpo" ".deps/packet-dcerpc-lsa.Plo"; \
else rm -f ".deps/packet-dcerpc-lsa.Tpo"; exit 1; \
fi

... and lots of include statements in your Makefiles. This is the only
dependency tracking that will work with Ethereal today when doing frequent
changes to the source code.

Regards,

Olivier