Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] the new broken buildscripts

From: "Pia Sahlberg" <piabar@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 09:48:33 +0000
Grrr Im going crazy i spend more time trying to get the stupid builds working than trying to patch
kerberos.

OK.  Two questions.

1, I want to be able to compile Ethereal under both Windows and Linux so I can generate one single executable I can send to others so that they can run it. HOW can I do that. All my attempts using creative tar'ing of the ethereal crap script and .libs have so far failed. Just how do I create one single functioning excecutable? i can send people OR CAN I NEVER AGAIN COMPILE AND SEND EXECUTABLES TO OTHERS? Is the only remaining possibility to build a complete and full install crap for windows or some unknown magic to build a RPM to send to those that actually use RedHat of my linux friends?

2, Something else has broken. Now when i try to patch kerberos and test some part of the build refuse to activate my cvhanges and even seem to do crap like replacing my changes with the CVS version. I DONT WANT FILES TO BE CHANGED ___UNLESS___ I MANUALLY RUN CVS UPDATE MYSELF.
Why does it no longer work?    HOW Should I do this?

I tried to UPDATE packet-kerberos.c in my editor saved the changes and tried make.
That did not work.
I tried to delete epan/packet-kerberos.*   and run make
that did not work either.
I tried to delete epan/packet-kerberos.* and also epan/.libs/packet-kerberos* plus also epan/.libs/lib* which actually did cause it to relink that crap shared library but again to no avail.
Now my packet-kerberos.c had changed.

Exactly how am i supposed to get it to work to recompile after i have edited a dissector?

Anyone interested, send me your interest and i will set up ssh so you can log in to my machine and see the joy of a broken build environement. please then login to my box or boxes and fix it.

Would it be possible to revert back to a functioning build environment like the pre 0.10.2 versions and some broken scripts that only the win32 people themself could use when they want to build a distro?

I really want to know the solution to 1 and 2. I dont want to learn about autoconf/automake and the other crap. I just want 1 and 2 to work. this has been broken and continue to break for too long now.

We've 100s of NEW questions! Play Millionaire online to win $$$$. Click here http://sites.ninemsn.com.au/minisite/millionaire/default.asp