Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Idea for ethereal

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 22:12:23 -0700
On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 02:48:26PM +1000, Tim Potter wrote:
> Neat!  It's even available for Linux - http://rpcap.sourceforge.net/

No, that's a *different* remote capture mechanism, and he has is own
version of libpcap.

> From Ronnie's first mail I thought it might only be available for
> Windows.

WinPcap is the only implementation of libpcap that *currently* supports
remote capturing, although the WinPcap code will probably work on at
least some UN*X platforms.  The daemon works on at least some UN*Xes
(I think they've used it on Linux and FreeBSD).