Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Idea for ethereal

From: Don Lafontaine <lafont02@xxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 00:27:50 -0400
Thanks, I kinda already have a tool that does it. Just throwing out an idea. Anyone can run remote captures, it's just handier to have it part of the ethereal GUI.

Don.

Ronnie Sahlberg wrote:

1, Goto winpcap website.

2, download the rpcap.exe daemon

3, do remote captures.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Lafontaine" Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2004 2:11 PM
Subject: [Ethereal-dev] Idea for ethereal

Hi folks

It would be a real handy addition to add client/server capture functionality to ethereal.

Write a small footprint capture daemon/service that can be started by a remote ethereal client. It captures packets until told to stop. At that point, the client (ethereal) downloads the captured data and presents it for the user to peruse. This daemon/service will remain dormant until called into service, it needs to use as little resources as possible when not in use. One little form can list all the available daemon/services and the user can click one or more. If more than one are chosen, ethereal can be made to match up the packets so you can see both sides of the conversations from each side of the wire. This will give you latency/delay/drops if you match them up properly.

Just an idle thought,  what do you think?

Don Lafontaine