Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Coloring rules dialog

From: "Martin Mathieson" <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 11:21:19 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Urwin" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Ethereal development" <ethereal-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 05 April 2004 18:03
Subject: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Coloring rules dialog

[snip]

> I see, thanks.
> I assume by your description of the caveats that you're changing the
> dialog that has the list of filters. I'm not sure I like the idea,
> since the background is already coloured by the filter colouring. That
> is useful to check that the colour combination you have chosen is both
> readable and not glaring, and also as a reference to colours you have
> already used.
>
> On the other hand the 'edit color filter' dialog (which appears when you
> hit Edit) could keep the name of the filter in the filter colours and
> colour the filter string as you suggest. My apologies if that is what
> you did.
>
> Whichever it is, I would like to see the initial colour of existing
> filters set consistently. That's probably only another line or two of
> code.
>
> (I probably sound unreasonably proprietorial; I did add some code to
> that dialog, but I wasn't the last to do so and to be fair there are
> probably other opinions out there.)
>
> --
> Richard Urwin

The top-level dialog that has the list of filters is unaffected.

It is only the dialog that appears when you add a new rule or edit an
existing rule that is affected.  In both cases, both the name of the rule
and the filter expression start off coloured according to any previous color
settings for this rule.  It is only once you start to edit the filter
expression that its colour may change (the name of the rule keeps the
current colour selection of the rule).

Despite my earlier caveat I find this behaviour OK in use.  Could/should
these 2 little patches be applied?
Martin