Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] RE: Ethereal DNS Traffic Storms - Issue Wrapup

From: "Wescott, David H" <david.h.wescott@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 19:53:36 -0700
Title: RE: Ethereal DNS Traffic Storms - Issue Wrapup

We had previously posted regarding DNS traffic storms in Ethereal on WIN32 that were impacting versions 0.9.14, 0.9.15, 0.10.2, and 0.10.3.  From this list we learned that Ethereal uses ADNS for name resolution.  We then engaged with Jarle Aase who did the ADNS port for WIN32.  Jarle created a modified ADNS "dll", which based on our testing seems to have corrected the problem.  Jarle Aase will release a new version of the ADNS library, and he will also notify the Ethereal developers so that they can use the corrected ADNS dll from now on.

We want to publicly thank Jarle Aase for his very prompt attention to this issue.  We sent a query to him on Saturday afternoon, and had new code ready for us to test by Sunday night.  This is great service, and it was very much appreciated!