Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Re-indenting the configure script (please test )

From: Stephen Samuel <samuel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 15:54:40 -0800
Biot Olivier wrote:
|-----Original Message-----
|From: Stephen Samuel
|That having been said, though, if configure.in is written,
|and maintained, by people then it should be sanely indented.

One issue is that there are several ways of indenting configure.in scripts.
When reading autoconf documentation, the preferred way of indenting those is
not with a fixed indentation of say 4 spaces, but instead of writing the
arguments exactly below each other, something like:

There have long been, and there will long thereafter be, many
ways of indenting just about anything that doesn't mandate
indentation. In my world, I don't really care much how
something is indented, as long as
1) I can figure it out easily,
2) I can use it to easily figure out the logic of a script.

What you've shown seems sane to me, and I've used it often enough.
The one thing that worries me about it, though, is that it may
quickly result in scripts that indent so far that they wrap
normal screen widths. (but that can be dealt with).

--
Stephen Samuel +1(604)876-0426                samuel@xxxxxxxxxxx
		   http://www.bcgreen.com/~samuel/