Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] Re-indenting the configure script (please test )

From: Biot Olivier <Olivier.Biot@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 10:35:52 +0100
|-----Original Message-----
|From: Stephen Samuel
|
|Richard Sharpe wrote:
|> On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Guy Harris wrote:
|>
|> I think that the implication was that configure.in should
|> be re-indented
|> as well, which I would object to (a little bit, at least).
|
|Guy got my thoughts right...
|That having been said, though, if configure.in is written,
|and maintained, by people then it should be sanely indented.

One issue is that there are several ways of indenting configure.in scripts.
When reading autoconf documentation, the preferred way of indenting those is
not with a fixed indentation of say 4 spaces, but instead of writing the
arguments exactly below each other, something like:

AC_DEFUN([ENABLE_DEFAULT_CONDITION],
         [AC_ARG_WITH([[$2]],
                      AC_HELP_STRING([[--with-$2]],
                                     [$4 (default: $1)]),
                      [ac_cv_use_$3=$withval],
                      [ac_cv_use_$3=yes])
          AC_CACHE_CHECK([whether to $4],
                         [ac_cv_use_$3],
                         [ac_cv_use_$3=$1])])

This is also the way automatic configure.in indentation is implemented in
the VIM editor (and probably emacs too).

Anyway, I plan on a major rework of the autoconf stuff as some macros tend
to be useless now (--disable-usr-local does never work), and we're not even
taking advantage of autoconf caching as we don't systematically use the
<package>_cv_<name> naming convention.

Regards,

Olivier