Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Compiling ethereal with GTK2 on Cygwin

From: "Olivier Biot" <ethereal@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 23:56:04 +0100
From: Guy Harris

| On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 08:09:42PM +0100, Biot Olivier wrote:
| > The problem you mention has been introduced while making
libethereal a
| > shared library. The Win32 gcc builds of Ethereal apparently have
more strict
| > requirements on what can or cannot be in a shared library. For
example, the
| > diameter dissector uses error functions which are not part of the
| > libethereal API hence linking fails.
|
| Yes, but the errors he's getting are for functions that *are* part
of
| the libethereal API; is the problem you mention causing other
errors?

On my cygwin environment, a build would eventually fail. If I use
the -no-undefined flag for libtool, then I don't get *those* warnings,
but eventually compilation of ethereal fails anyhow, again at linkage
stage, and because of symbols.

I am working on a short term workaround for allowing to choose *not*
to build the shared application libraries (libethereal and libwiretap)
allowing users building with gcc on MS Windows environments and AIX
users to still be able to build Ethereal.

I fear however I will have to create a Makefile.static and
Makefile.shared to all directories with an automake construct like:

    if ENABLE_SHARED_LIBS
    include Makefile.shared
    else !ENABLED_SHARED_LIBS
    include Makefile.static
    endif !ENABLED_SHARED_LIBS

Otherwise I don't see how I can get rid of the automake error
messages:
object `FOO.$(OBJEXT)' created both with libtool and without autoconf

Regards,

Olivier