Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Re-indenting the configure script (please test)

From: Stephen Samuel <samuel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 15:23:03 -0800
Thanks..  I think that that gives me enough info, that
I can stop walking this dead end..

It wasn't a *complete* waste, though. The redent script may
be useful for those people who want to look at configure
scripts (at least I found it useful).  I expect that it
would also useful to people working with other large
shell scripts (especially debugging machine-generated ones).

From: Stephen Samuel

| Quick query: Is glib required for building tethereal
| and the other text-based commands?

Definitely! GLib provides a powerful API to *lots* of convenient
utility functions (they tend to start with "g_"; you won't probably
find a single file *without* a GLib call :)

| I realize that,
| without X loaded, ethereal itself will never compile
| and I'm not expecting it to (disabled it in the config).

That's weird. Maybe it has to do with the PATH you have when working
in an X environment. I tend to open an X terminal and compile Ethereal
(or any other program) from that Terminal, and it is true, my PATH is
extended when using X.

Should have been a bit more accurate... X isn't *installed* on this box.
No libs, no binaries, no useful path unless I'm using NFS.

The box was mostly meant as a firewall, but I also use it to play
with OpenBSD (yeah, I know.. having compilers on a firewall is a nono).
My other boxes are Linux, although I may be installing a test Solaris unit.

Remember that the GUI application "ethereal" requires GLib (as do all
other binary files in the Ethereal project) *plus* GTK+ which is a GUI
library.

--
Stephen Samuel +1(604)876-0426                samuel@xxxxxxxxxxx
		   http://www.bcgreen.com/~samuel/