Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Preference dialoge feedback

From: Matthijs Melchior <mmelchior@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 16:54:01 +0100
Hi,
   I am in the process of correcting some problems in my ASN.1 dissector,
and in the process I am converting the port preference from an integer to
a list of ports. The code in the dissector plugin is ready, but now I have
the problem of giving feedback about an error in the new ports list.
The GUI does not have any facility for such feedback on clicking Apply,
Save or OK buttons.

Currently I insert an error message in front of the ports list string,
and if I use OK, and start the dialogie again, I see the message....
But not when I ckick Apply, the old string continues being displayed.

With some hints from someone who knows gtk/prefs_dlg.c I can make a
patch that does not assume the (*module->apply_cb)() routine, called
by prefs_apply_all(), does not change any values displayed in that dialoge.
By redisplaying the actual values after apply, the feedback from my
dissector plugin would be sufficient.
This would work for the Apply button, the OK case is more difficult....

Any advice appreciated.....

Thanks.

--
Regards,