Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] RADIUS User Password

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 11:11:09 -0800
On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 03:45:48PM +0100, Dave Wapstra wrote:
> The User-Password attribute in a RADIUS packet is normally encrypted.
> The RADIUS dissector has defined the User Password attribute as a
> RADIUS_STRING. This should be a BINSTRING imho. GTK chokes on this when
> trying to display the user password contents.

The code to handle RADIUS_STRING had some special-case stuff to handle
the User Password attribute - if the attribute's type value is 2 and
vendor-specific VSA's aren't being processed, the field's value is
passed to "rddecryptpass()", which decrypts it if it can.

The problem is that if it *can't*, it just displays the password as a
text string rather than as a byte string in hex.

I've checked in a change to make "rddecryptpass()" display the password
as a byte string in hex if it can't decrypt it, and to add a new display
type RADIUS_USERPASSWORD and use that for the User Password attribute,
and have that always use "rddecryptpass()" and have RADIUS_STRING always
use "rdconvertbuftostr()".