Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Re: SQL Help

From: Evan Burrows <eburrows@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 16:31:01 -0500
Alastair,

I was looking into tcpdump and have a few questions. I looked at tcpdump and was a little confused on how it worked. If it is run through a command line how would this work if i wanted to continually monitor my network interface? I just want to make sure that i will be able to continually monitor the interface and push that data to my database. Once i start pushing to this pipe would information continue to be pushed to it? Also i looked around but didn't find any information on pushing the packets into a pipe. Sorry for so many questions but the semester is halfway over and as of right now my group isnt much help to me with this part of our project. Any information on how to create the pipe and how to use tcodump to push the relevant information that i want would be appreciated. Also do you know of any good sites to look at to try and find an example of code that opens the pipe? Like i said before i am not the best programmer and need to look at something to get an idea of what i need to do to get the information in the pipe into my db

thanks in advance,
Evan