Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Re: Build native Win32 Ethereal with cygwin!

From: "Pia Sahlberg" <piabar@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 17:54:36 +0000
Oliver Biot wrote:
Thanks to Stephen Blackheath's hints I eventually succeeded in building an
Ethereal version that is linked against "native Win32" libraries. If you
drop the so-built ethereal.exe in an existing Ethereal installation
directory (e.g., "C:\Program Files\Ethereal"), then it runs smoothly (and
*much* faster than a cygwin binary). For some symbols you still need
cygwin1.dll so drop that library too in the same directory as ethereal.exe).

The only trick is to compile the whole Ethereal code with "-mms-bitfields"
and then to  *manually* fix the final libtool that builds Ethereal by
replacing all occurrences of cygwin libraries (in /usr/local/lib... or
/usr/lib/... or even -l<lib>) with the native Win32 libraries (which I put
in /target/lib/).

VERY cool. Are you planning to update the build scripts in cvs with these changes so that it
will build Cygwin with the native libraries by default?

The reason Im asking is that it may be much easier to build Heimdal kerberos under cygwin than porting it to windows. And if we used Cygwin compiled versions of ethereal using native GTK etc DLLs this would make it possibly for us to reasonably easily start getting a version of ethereal
running under windows that support kerberos decryption.

best regards
   ronnie sahlberg

Personalise your phone with chart ringtones and polyphonics. Go to http://ringtones.com.au/ninemsn/control?page=/ninemsn/main.jsp