Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Re: How to pleasantly edit the user's guide?

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 20:57:26 +0100
Hi list!

Tried to send the following mail to the doc mailing list, but got no response till now.

Ulf Lamping wrote:

Hi List!

When looking at the archive of the doc mailing-list, no one seems to be currently working on the user's guide.

That's a pity, as I've made a lot of changes to the GUI in the last months, and the user's guide seems to
be in an state of "please immediatly update me" ;-)

I've downloaded the sources, but couldn't find an easy way to edit these (the documentation for the documentation is quite worse ;-).
When I understand it correct, these are Docbook sources in SGML format.

This format seems to be a bit out of date, as I've googled around and find for example the linux documentation project, which is preferring Docbook with XML, see: http://www.tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/html/docbookxml.html.

However, the differences between SGML and XML shouldn't be too high, and a somewhat simple conversion should do the job.

When going to edit the book, I would like to have some WYSIWYG editor for it, as this usually makes editing a *lot* faster, at least for me. At http://www.tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/html/tools-edit.html there are two favourites for me: AbiWord and OpenOffice, which are both available
on Win32 and Linux.

Any suggestions how I can get started?

Regards, ULFL