Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] ClearSight update

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 01:53:01 -0800
On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 01:35:55AM -0800, Guy Harris wrote:
> 	I definitely want them to stop infringement;

...especially given that they have a typical EULA with its usual
restrictions, are making such a bogus claim about having "licensed"
Ethereal, and have been stalling us on this.

> 	presumably opening the source of Analyzer isn't the only way
> 	that they could do that - they could also perhaps run Ethereal
> 	"at arm's length" rather than linking it into Analyzer, and I
> 	wouldn't *require* them to open the source *if* they're willing
> 	to change it not to link Ethereal code in;

E.g., if they could make a native-Windows-GUI version of Ethereal that
can act as an out-of-process OLE agent (or whatever it's called), so
that their application can drive the Ethereal GUI, I'd *personally* be
willing to accept that - as long as, of course, *all* the code for that
version of Ethereal were made publicly available as GPLed code.

If the consensus is to say "GPL Analyzer or else", however, I'd be
willing to go along with that.