Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] ClearSight update

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 01:35:55 -0800
On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 03:10:54PM -0600, Gerald Combs wrote:
> - Eben thinks we have a strong case.  Since Ethereal is a required
>    component for a fully-functioning version of ClearSight Analyzer
>    (CSA), this falls well within the definition of a combined work and
>    they are therefore in violation of the GPL.  Their source
>    distribution may be in violation as well, which I'll discuss below.
>
> - We have several options available, litigation-wise.  We can seek an
>    injuction against ClearSight which would prevent them from shipping
>    CSA in its current form.  We can seek damages.  We can try to have
>    the source for CSA opened under the GPL or a GPL-compatible license.
>
> - Should we decide to seek an injunction, it would likely cost 25,000
>    to 30,000 USD.

Does that mean immediately proceeding to court, or do they first get a
letter from a lawyer such as Eben stating "we're going to try to get an
injunction against you - call us if you want to settle out of court?"

> In order to proceed with this, Ethereal's copyright holders need to
> agree on a final objective.  Do we simply want ClearSight to stop
> infringement?  Do we want them to open the source of Analyzer?  Do we
> want damages?  Should they be allowed to keep doing what they're
> doing, provided they pay a licensing fee?

*Personally*:

	I definitely want them to stop infringement;

	presumably opening the source of Analyzer isn't the only way
	that they could do that - they could also perhaps run Ethereal
	"at arm's length" rather than linking it into Analyzer, and I
	wouldn't *require* them to open the source *if* they're willing
	to change it not to link Ethereal code in;

	I'm not sure whether I'd want damages, although getting them to
	pay our court costs if they lose would be good;

	I don't think it'd be right to let them pay a licensing fee
	unless we all decide to dual-license Ethereal - if there's a
	consensus for that, I wouldn't necessarily object, but I
	wouldn't advocate dual-licensing it myself.