Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] ClearSight update

From: Motonori Shindo <mshindo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 12:20:43 +0900 (JST)
Folks,

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Ethereal-dev] ClearSight update
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 15:10:54 -0600

> - We have several options available, litigation-wise.  We can seek an
>    injuction against ClearSight which would prevent them from shipping
>    CSA in its current form.  We can seek damages.  We can try to have
>    the source for CSA opened under the GPL or a GPL-compatible license.

Personally I prefer a peaceful resolution by having them disclose the
source code of Analyzer. Court fight is something we'd better avoid we
ever can. It is not good for either party 'cause it costs money to
both sides. Having them pay some license fee may also look peaceful
but "how much" and "to whom" is a hard question to answer, which, I
think, can only be decided by the court anyway.

Having said all this, if we ended up with fighting at the court after
putting all our effort toward peaceful resolutions, I'll second it and
do whatever I can do; for example, asking friends in Japan for
donation to Ethereal Fund (or the like) to fight at the court. I'd
also be happy to speak to people at Toyo Corporation anytime if need
be.

Regards,