Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] ClearSight update

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 23:37:22 -0800
On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 01:56:48AM +0100, Joerg Mayer wrote:
> > - He is willing to assist us in the case.  However, he can't do pro
> >   bono work in California (CA), which is where it makes the most sense
> >   to file a case.
>
> Being not familiar with the american legal system: What does "pro bono"
> mean?

Well, according to this glossary of legal terms:

	http://www.co.shelby.tn.us/county_gov/court_clerks/criminal_court/glossary.html#p

"pro bono" refers to legal services provided without attorney fees, i.e.
legal work done for free - the term comes, I think, from the Latin
phrase "pro bono publico", i.e. "for the public good".

I don't know whether Eben means that there's some legal reason why he
can't do pro bono work in California - I'm not *that* familiar with the
US legal system (although I don't think it's a concept unique to the US
legal system:

	http://www.probonoaustralia.com.au/new/home.asp

although it *might* be unique to Anglo-Saxon legal systems.)