Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] ClearSight update

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 01:56:48 +0100
On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 03:10:54PM -0600, Gerald Combs wrote:
> - We have several options available, litigation-wise.  We can seek an
>   injuction against ClearSight which would prevent them from shipping
>   CSA in its current form.  We can seek damages.  We can try to have
>   the source for CSA opened under the GPL or a GPL-compatible license.

Well, I can live with any of these, but my personal preference wuold be:
1) Open up the source under GPL (no damages, just a donation to FSF or
   something similar)
2) Prevent them from shipping + damages

> - Should we decide to seek an injunction, it would likely cost 25,000
>   to 30,000 USD.

So we'd need to set up something like an Ethereal legal fund.

> - He is willing to assist us in the case.  However, he can't do pro
>   bono work in California (CA), which is where it makes the most sense
>   to file a case.

Being not familiar with the american legal system: What does "pro bono"
mean?

> - It's important to make this case as airtight as possible, in order
>   to set a precedent for any future litigation.

OK

> In order to proceed with this, Ethereal's copyright holders need to
> agree on a final objective.  Do we simply want ClearSight to stop
> infringement?  Do we want them to open the source of Analyzer?  Do we
> want damages?  Should they be allowed to keep doing what they're
> doing, provided they pay a licensing fee?

Stopping alone: No - I would have accepted that when we first contaced
 them - but they have been playing for time.
Opening the source: Best solution. In case they are creating costs for
 us: these costs should be covered too.
Damages: In case they don't open the source: yes
Continue against a fee: No, not really

> We must also definitively establish who has a legal claim on
> Ethereal's copyright.  There are _many_ people (and companies) listed
> in copyright notices in all of the files in the source code.  There
> are many more listed in the AUTHORS file.  Anyone who paid these
> people to write the code that's in Ethereal may have a copyright claim
> on a work-for-hire basis.  Getting Ethereal's copyright status
> formally established is going to be a chore.  I'll dedicate whatever
> time is necessary to do this.

Gerald, I don't envy you - but you are doing a great job here!

Thanks
       Jï¿œrg