Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Please Test: shared libs for Unix

From: Gilbert Ramirez <gram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 22:25:41 -0000
On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 08:35, Joerg Mayer wrote:
> The attached patch turns wiretap, dfilter, ftypes and libethereal into shared
> libs on Unix/Linux. Please test and report results. In case this requires
> still newer auto... tools on your system, please report that too.
>
> Thanks
>          Jörg
> --
> Joerg Mayer                                           <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
> We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that
> works. Some say that should read Microsoft instead of technology.
> ----

I don't understand the point of making dfilter and ftypes shared
libraries. Making them archive libraries of PIC objects, to be linked
into the libethereal shared library makes more sense. I don't see
"libdfilter" and "libftypes' being helped by any of the reasons why
"libethereal" is being made into a shared library. It won't save space
and they won't be re-used by other applications.

--gilbert